Sign in to follow this  
netDamnation

Online BF2 set to end May31?

psycho-aussie" post="22599" timestamp="1396605394"]

Its only if you enter multiplayer through Gamespy.

Can still join the regular servers from within the BF2 set-up. No change for me thank god!

Thats correct Psycho, this will not effect users of Battlefield 2 being able to play online, Gamespy is a service similar to Steam

custombanner-5724.png

That's odd.. I've never heard of anyone logging-in without a GameSpy nick/account.

Assuming for a moment it is possible to do so, can a knowledgable person describe the procedure for us?

I'm reading the login system is handled by gamespy?

what does this mean?

fuck EA for destroying their last decent game?

AKA battery

Definitely not looking promising, no.

If you can forgive the diplomatic rhetoric in my previous; There is ofc currently no method of logging into BF2 online without accessing an account held at GameSpy. Not to be confused with installation of the "GameSpy Arcade" GUI which included such extraneous features as "Comrade" etc.

Simply connecting to a battle hosted on your remote mate's PC requires GameSpy (outside a vLAN setup).

To be sure, line 624 from your default english.utxt file reads:

Online play is offered through GameSpy.  There is no requirement to create an EA Online Account to play online, although users will need to register through a GameSpy registration process

There has been second-hand claims and rumblings for several weeks about the demise of BF2 by 2014 end, but as with all gaming lore, it's taken with a grain of salt until a firm date is announced.

The decision by GameSpy is out of EA's grubby littlebig hands but, as with other publishers using the GS service, they could choose to migrate it's functionality to another account system. If it were almost any other company, there might have been some light at the end of that tunnel. Our conundrum requires EA to lift a finger.. hmm, k. Are they still selling sufficient copies/keys to motivate them on this issue? Hard to imagine so.

Further, any 3rd-party organisation capable &/or willing to undertake the task may be thwarted by legalistic dogsh!ttery which probably rules-out such miracles as a 'Steam intervention' etc.

As though to polish the nails in the coffin, Battlefield 2 is one of the only major games not listed as supported by the allegedly awesome but apparently not-awesome-enough 'GameRanger' networking program used by multiplayers elsewheres.

Other VPN style solutions remain possible (read: Hamachi, OpenVPN etc), but iirc mostly a forgettable, very-high-ping experience.

More info on what GameSpy ..was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamespy

-----------------------------------

inb4 6 wks of frenzying fanatics

Cautiously positive update on this topic:

Someone supposedly connected to Origin, via twit:

We're working on transitioning those games after the shut down so you'll still be able to play them.

Hm.. Counting no chickens just yet

Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam are still able to play online, So why would they remove BF2 multilayer, It makes no sense for EA to do this, I don't believe it is being stopped from playing online!

wool.gif