Sign in to follow this  
[TdS] philf2469

high ping

does anyone have any ideas how to fix my ping .it ranges from 50 - 500 atm. ive been to speedtest.net while my ping on the server was 450

speedtest said my ping -96

download speed-3.6mbps

uploas0.31mbps

ive got a bigpond 2wire modem about 6 yrs old . i went to http://10.0.0.138/xslt?PAGE=C01 & turned my wifi off & that made no dif at all.

i cant play atm with a ping that high

Untitled-5_1.png

I had telstra wireless and found the modem lasted me 3months, so I changed over to a 4g wireless modem and its been going strong for over 8months now

philf2469" post="21347" timestamp="1392374834"]

does anyone have any ideas how to fix my ping .it ranges from 50 - 500 atm. ive been to speedtest.net while my ping on the server was 450

speedtest said my ping -96

download speed-3.6mbps

uploas0.31mbps

ive got a bigpond 2wire modem about 6 yrs old . i went to http://10.0.0.138/xslt?PAGE=C01 & turned my wifi off & that made no dif at all.

i cant play atm with a ping that high

ribby I don't understand how you manage with a 4G wireless card. I use one whenever I move houses and only for a few weeks at a time and the rego is so infuriatingly bad within a week I'd almost rather destroy it.

and as for your router well if its a stock router from your ISP (one of the $20-$30 options, or any they offer really) then its probably just overheating which the cheaper routers are notorious for. I find I have to leave them tilted on their sides and still put it in the fridge every now and then. If you don't take precautions for overheating they'll usually die within a few months.

AKA battery

i had 3g with lots of rage but with 4g it is fabulous just expensive 12gb for $180.

mazte" post="21942" timestamp="1393897764"]

ribby I don't understand how you manage with a 4G wireless card. I use one whenever I move houses and only for a few weeks at a time and the rego is so infuriatingly bad within a week I'd almost rather destroy it.

and as for your router well if its a stock router from your ISP (one of the $20-$30 options, or any they offer really) then its probably just overheating which the cheaper routers are notorious for. I find I have to leave them tilted on their sides and still put it in the fridge every now and then. If you don't take precautions for overheating they'll usually die within a few months.

I'm having some lag spike issues too atm,

Brand new cable3.0 modem, as the cable service has only been connected 2 weeks..

Down - 14.16MB/s

Up - 0.30MB/s(300KB/s)

Ping - 7ms to a Telstra Server in Sydney

3370315947.png

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3370315947

Ping will sit around 10-20 playing online, then suddenly jump up to over 500..

Stuffed if i know whats causing it tho, Gonna watch the network, see if a networked device is causing it.

Tho, i would defiantly recommend getting a new modem, i normally replace mine every 8-9 months..

3758482351.png

bitcoin.png - 1FwDGeBvi5gxx1NuFyMDC69EZSSyLrTSdD

ether.png - 0x5012C012466bD1B7d07936E4429b8434bEB75400

litecoin.png - LfUxrFmJD2m6oqmUS8jkuD5nqTRPoCDZzZ

TUu6%2Flsb9n6dtucuou7csleTKDs%3D.png

So, I did a bit of digging(WireShark Packet capture FTW :P), and worked out that it was my PLEX media server causing my spikes..

If your running it too, that could be a problem.. Probably not, but I'm just throwing my solution out there..

Could also be any DLNA server broadcasting, essentially flooding the network.. but I you just need a new modem haha

With the PLEX server on, you can see that a 2.something GB (ARMA2 Demo :P ) download just stop's and then pick's itself back up. It doesn't always drop out completely, tho it does twice

W8kN4Av.png

After Disabling the server I can make the same download with no drop out.

kuS13hP.png

3am is the best time to workout network problems :P haha

Tested this also by doing a continuous ping to Google, With the server on, it spikes to around 2000ms every 40s or so, with it off, it sits stable at around 13ms

3758482351.png

bitcoin.png - 1FwDGeBvi5gxx1NuFyMDC69EZSSyLrTSdD

ether.png - 0x5012C012466bD1B7d07936E4429b8434bEB75400

litecoin.png - LfUxrFmJD2m6oqmUS8jkuD5nqTRPoCDZzZ

TUu6%2Flsb9n6dtucuou7csleTKDs%3D.png